Thank you for participating in an outstanding year of Iron Leadership meetings. It was good for my soul and my leadership to walk through the year with Moses. Two books that helped me in preparation were Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership by Ruth Haley Barton and Leaving Egypt by Chuck DeGroat. These are great books to read through to strengthen your soul and your leadership.
Beginning May 22, I am taking an eight week sabbatical in order to refresh my own soul. Since this will be the last blog post for several weeks, I thought I would offer some podcast and book recommendations that you might find helpful.
Books: I prefer reading stories for refreshment.
- Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown – One of my all time favorites.
- The Indifferent Stars Above by Daniel James Brown – I plan on reading this story about the Donner party this summer.
- Jayber Crow – All of Wendell Berry’s writings are worthwhile.
- Island of the Lost by Joan Druett – An incredible story of survival.
Podcasts: I have quite a few podcasts loaded on my phone; here are the ones I listen to regularly. For the most part, I listen at 1.5 speed, sometimes 2.0. This is probably a sign that I need to go on a sabbatical and slow down!
- 5 Leadership Questions
- The Andy Stanley Leadership Podcast
- The Carey Nieuwhof Podcast – I recently listened to #567 – very interesting.
- Founders – If you love biographies
Politics and Culture
- Acton Line – Joel Sercel on the ethics of space exploration, very enlightening.
- The Church Politics
- Good Faith
- Honestly – I really liked the conversation on Exodus: Our Favorite Passover Conversation.
- The Hugh Hewitt Show
- Trinity Forum Conversations
- Retirement Answer Man – Yes, I am getting old.
- P1 with Matt and Tommy – If you are into Formula 1.
- The Memory Palace – Short Stories
It’s been said, “Leaders are readers”. Feel free to email me about books or podcasts you find helpful. I am looking forward to reconnecting when we launch Iron Leadership in September!