Paul tells Timothy to: “Train (not try) yourself to be godly. Physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.” I Timothy 4
I hope you have a plan over the summer. If you don’t, I suggest you call a friend or two and commit to a training routine for the next 12 weeks. Here are a couple of helpful resources:
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald S. Whitney
Disciplines of a Godly Man by R. Kent Hughes
- What are Spiritual Disciplines? What Priority Should They Have in a Christian’s Life? by Donald S. Whitney: An article/video on spiritual disciplines.
- Visioneering: God’s Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Vision by Andy Stanley: This is the book I re-read every year to set my goals for the coming year.
- 9 Things a Leader Must Do by Henry Cloud: A small book about leadership.
- Knowing God by J.I. Packer: A classic, must-read.
- Thoughts for Young Men by J.C. Ryle: small book but very helpful for young men especially
- Habits of Grace by David Mathis: Notice you can download the book for free!
Pastor, Christ Community Church